Monday, March 15, 2010

How to make a Lego Man cake

Start out by getting a lot of premade rice crispy treats at walmart. They cost like $3 for 16 of them. We used 30 total for this. Form them in to the various body parts and legos. Put in the fridge to harden. Side note. We did not use those curved ones for the hands.

After the pieces are hard. You need to wrap the fondant around them. We bought the pre colored fondant in a four pack at walmart. $8.50 per box but they had the exact colors we needed and I could have cared less what it tasted like because we were not serving the lego man as part of the dessert. We used almost 2 boxes of the fondant to do the entire thing.

You don't need to use butter cream to adhere the fondant to the rice crispy treats because of the uneven surface. The butter cream actually makes it hard to work with and causes the fondant to look bad.

After all the pieces are wrapped up, place them in the fridge until you are ready to display them.

For the cake I used box mixes. I am not a baker, no do I care to be so box mixes work for now. Maybe when I have more free time (haha) I will make a cake from scratch. Anyways, the cake was 4 layers - 2 devils food and 2 vanilla. In the middle of each layer was vanilla butter cream and the blue frosting was also vanilla butter cream.

Butter cream recipe -

1/2 cup butter
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
vanilla extract to taste

I used by kitchenaid mixer because it is the best and makes it super easy. Add room temp butter and sugar and mix until creamy. Then add whipping cream and vanilla. I used sky blue food coloring (gel) for the color.

I tripled this recipe for the cake. Yeah, that's right, 1 1/2 cups of butter, 9 cups of sugar, 6 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Boy was it yummy!

To assemble the lego man you use toothpicks and carefully put all parts together.

My only complaint was that the cake seemed a little dry after having sat in the fridge over night. I think next time I will wait to frost the cake until the day of instead of the night before.

2 comments:

MegsCamaren said...

This is soo cool. Can't wait to see what you come up with next year :-)

Kristen said...

So CUTE!!