Thursday, March 25, 2010

Doctor's visit for the kids

On Tuesday I was diagnosed with the adenovirus. Fluid in my right ear, fluid, puss and a very red left ear. That night Cole asked to go to bed at 8pm. Cole has never once in his life asked to go to bed. He also said his ear hurt. Siena did not sleep at all that night. She and I were pretty much up from midnight until I told Mike at 5 am he needed to get up since he got sleep and take her out of the room. I got 1 1/2 hours of sleep. It pretty much sucked. I can't sleep lying down either since it hurts my ears so it really sucked.

I had called Monday to try and get in to after hours and they were booked. The kids doctor doesn't work on Tues and Thurs and they would not squeeze us in because I wanted them checked out not because they were showing signs. So I called tuesday after my diagnosis and requested they be seen and the advise nurse said "well we can get Siena in but if Cole isn't showing any symptoms...." I said "Look, 6 other people they were with on friday all have the same virus, including me and all 6 of us have ear infections. Cole needs to be checked out. I don't care if he isn't showing any signs" So she scheduled both kids for 9 am Wednesday morning.

So Wednesday's appointment showed Siena had lost a pound in weight. She is down to 18.6. She has fluid in her right ear and fluid, puss and a read ear drum in her left just like me. Cole has what's called bulging myringitis. His left ear drum is bulged out and full of puss. Lovely. The Doc. said that his would be the most painful out of the 3 of us and yet he was the one not having any trouble sleeping or saying he hurt. Tough little guy!

We also discussed Cole's bug bite reactions. I showed her the pictures. I don't think she was expecting to see the swelling that she did. Her suggestion is just prevention for now. Since it doesn't affect his breathing and he is not getting any fevers with them we have to assume it is just an annoyance. We can use bug spray with up to 10% deet in it. Now I have to research with one I want to use on him.

It's hard to keep clothes on kids!




1 comment:

Elissa said...

Omg! I hope you guys are feeling at least a little better now. Thats horrible. I had a double ear infection a while ago. It was the worst pain ever. I feel so bad for my kids whenever they have them. Cole's one little tough man to be able to have that and not complain.