Saturday, March 27, 2010

Add one more to the list

Well it looks like Siena is allergic to Azrithromycin. Yesterday I caught her with Cole's 100% juice berry capri sun. I have no clue if she drank any of it. Of course it says it has strawberries in it so when she got the allergic rash on her butt and girl parts I assumed she drank some and I was like ok she's allergic to the strawberries and not the coconut.

Well about 30 minutes ago I changed her diaper and the rash was back, firery red and she was screaming when I wiped. The strange thing is that last night and tonight when I laid her down she instantly got upset like she knew it was going to hurt when I wiped her. She did not get any strawberries today so I got to thinking and I realized that this was day 4 of antibiotics and I gave them to her about 1 1/2 hours ago. Same thing yesterday but it didn't occur to me then. She has been in disposable diapers because I want to prove that she isn't reacting to the cloth diapers.

When she had her allergic reaction to amoxicillin she got hives all over her body. This reaction is more like her reaction to soy and it is far more painful for little miss. :-(

UPDATE - After being on hold for an advice nurse for 40 minutes she took down all the info and then had Siena's doctor call me at home. She thinks Siena is reacting to the flavoring in the antibiotics since the rash is not a typical reaction for an antibiotic. When I went to Target to get the rx filled I asked if it could have no flavor and they said it was pre flavored with cherry. Well guess who has never had a cherry and on day 3 she gets the allergic rash. So by the Dr.'s orders I am giving Siena the last dose of antibiotics tomorrow evening and we will see what happens. Next time Siena needs an antibiotic we will go to a compounding pharmacy and get it with no flavor and see if she reacts.

SUNDAY UPDATE - I gave Siena her antibiotics and kept watch on her and sure enough 1 1/2 hours after the medication was given her butt was firey red and super hot - at least 5 degrees warmer than the rest of her body. So strange. Glad to know what to look for when she has allergies though. Too bad she is allergic to another fruit. She's missing out on all the good stuff!

MONDAY UPDATE - No rash what so ever today as it should be since she did not get any of the antibiotics today. What a sensitive little girl. I am just happy to know what her reactions look like (rash) and that they don't cause her any breathing problems.

2 comments:

Esther and Brian said...

Poor little thing can't get a break!!! I don't remember if you ever said this or not, Aimee, do allergies run in the family or she just happens to have them?

Could be worse...much worse....

The Fredy Family said...

allergies do not run in the family. I think it has to do with pregnancy and her being an IUGR baby. Inter Utero Growth Retardation. It's the only thing I can think of.