Monday, December 8, 2008

Mastering the Big Boy Bed

I never thought that I would have a 21 month old that only slept in a bed, not a crib.  The idea of him being able to get up when ever he wanted did not sit to well with me since I treasure (like most moms do) nap time.  That is my "alone" time and it is hard for me to give it up!

So it has been a week now since the crib was taken out of Cole's room.  There has been NO head butting on the big boy bed.  When it is nap time, I pick Cole up and tell him it is time for a nap and I lay him down on the bed.  Give him a kiss and close the door.  I turn on the moniter to wait a see if he complies.  Usually the mobile turns on and after about 5 minutes I go back in the room.  Cole is usually still in his bed but sitting up with Elmo or the Sleep Sheep.  I tell him again that it is nap time and that he needs to lay down and go to sleep.  Another round of kisses and I close the door and that is the last I hear from him for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours.  So much better than the struggle we were going through with the crib.

Bedtime Cole is still fighting.  He does not like falling asleep alone.  I think the funniest part is that he has now realized that at night his bedroom door is not closed so if he wakes up he will scream, if we don't come quick enough he gets up and runs towards our room.  Sunday morning I was greeted by Cole and Elmo.  This morning it was Mike's turn and when they met in the kitchen apparently Cole saw Mike and turned and ran back towards him room screaming even louder.  I get up to pee and mend the situation.  Poor Mike, Cole is quite the instant I pick him up.  He is always trying to help and Cole does not make it easy on him in the middle of the night.

Hopefully Cole can come to some kind of terms with it because I really don't see how I can hold two crying little ones at 3 in the morning!

No comments: