Friday, February 26, 2010

Lack of Sleep

So for the second day in a row one of the two kids was up at 4:45am and not going back to sleep. This morning it was Siena and at least when she wakes up she is "usually" pleasant. Yesterday morning it was Cole who was up at 4:45am and he woke up swinging, literally. We both woke up to the sound of Cole crying, fairly loud. Mike got up first and went in the room and was back quicker than ever. Cole had started screaming, hitting Mike and pushing him out of the room. So I got up next and received the same treatment. I went back to bed as well.

Normally in this case it would be ok for us to leave him to screaming in his room (tantrum style) however my sister was sleeping on the couch because she was going to be babysitting that morning. I felt horrible because the first time she was here Siena put on a night time show, the second time she drove from Reno early in the morning and that didn't work either. This time around I thought for sure she would get some sleep. So with respect to Andrea we had to keep Cole quiet. Mike went back in again and tried reasoning with Cole but he was out of control. So I went in and sat with him. He continued to flip out so I wrapped him in a blanket and pinned him to my chest while I laid down. This was not what he had in mind and was continuing to freak out. Finally after 5 minutes of holding him he got away from me and sat at the end of the bed and stared at me. He tried to hit me a few times and I threatened the loss of TV / movie / Lego privileges which got him under control. He then did a total 180 and was practically crying, like scared crying and made me lay down next to him and he cuddled up real close to me and wrapped his arms around me and kept asking me not to leave him. He would kiss my face repeatedly while telling me not to go. I asked him if he had a bad dream and he said "yes, I crying, bad frog"

After that I was able to convince him to go into our bed so I could at least get another hour of sleep before getting up for work. He had to be next to me, which is very unusual for him when he sneaks into our bed. He never went back to sleep, he just laid in our bed holding on to me and staring at the ceiling or me. When it was finally time to get up I needed to shower. Cole wanted nothing to do with me leaving him so I asked him if he wanted to take a shower with me. Normally he would say no and run away, he never takes showers with me, but he said yes and got in with me. He wanted me to hold him the entire time which was difficult! After that, he woke up his Aunt and we made blueberry pancakes before I left for work. The rest of the day he was clingy as well, especially when I got home. He told me "i love you mommy, I love you all day." That night he was constantly hanging on me which is so out of the normal for him. This morning he snuck into our room before Siena had woken up and had to sleep right next to me again. I was basically at the bottom of a dog pile between those two kids. Cole was pretty sweet all day today as well. He did ask me a few times not to go to work. He has woken up like that a few times before but this was by far the worst of them.

And here it is - Midnight - and I am up writing a blog post instead of sleeping. Hopefully I am not up again in 4 hours and 45 minutes.

1 comment:

Esther and Brian said...

wow, interesting...maybe it is bad dreams? dreams of being taken away or some froggy taking him away? poor thing, i feel for him as obviously something is bothering him...go away, froggy, go away...