Monday, February 16, 2009

Welcome Siena Rai



I'd like everyone to meet Siena Rai.  This precious piece of work was born on February 12th at 12:38pm via c-section.  She weighed in at 4 pounds and 13 1/2 ounces and measuring 17 inches in length.  

I have no words to explain the love that I feel for this little person staring back at me.  She is truly a miracle.  She is a fighter.  Siena made it through a pregnancy where unknown to everyone, the odds were not stacked in her favor.  After being born it was discovered that the placenta and umbilical cord were abnormally small.  The normal size of a placenta is about that of a dinner plate and her was the size of a tea plate.  The umbilical cord is normally 3 feet long and her was only a foot long.  It also appeared that the cord was not totally attached to the placenta.  This would explain why the growth was not being seen in my belly.  Turns out I have what was called Inter utero growth retardation (IUGR).  Siena was not receiving all the nourishment she should have been.  

Siena is totally normal and healthy.  She checked out as a normally developed gestational 38 weeks, she is just very small.  She has a full head of dark brown hair and blue-grey eyes.  The palm of her hand is the size of a quarter.  The heart defect scare was just that, a scare, but it is what confirmed things even more that Siena needed to be out here with us, and no longer inside of me.  We are so thankful to have her here with us.

As for the rest of the Fredy's, we are all doing well.  Cole is extremely protective of his little sister, more on that to come.  Dad is doing the best he can to run the house while I sit on the couch feeling like I had an abdominal work out from hell.  But I am up and moving around.  I am slowly getting all of our pictures in order in between nursing, trying to get Cole to show me any attention at all, and attempting to get some sleep.  Onyx is wandering around wondering why we brought another one home.

More later on.  Good bye for now.  Some one needs my attention.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful girl! I'm so glad to hear that Cole likes her. :) I can't wait to see more pictures of Siena and also of the two siblings together. (Also, just to make me sound like a complete stalker, I've probably checked to see if you've updated four times today!)

Kris said...

SO GORGEOUS!

I am so glad that she is with you safe and sound.

I can really see a resemblence with her and Cole.

Congratulations to you and your family. Enjoy your babymoon!

Mackenzie said...

What a miracle.

Best wishes to the whole family!

Petersen Family said...

Way to go on the four day-old pictures Aimee!! I am seeing Cole in Siena as well. Congrats to all of you and get some rest if you can!!!

JCW said...

Aimee she is so BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely gorgeous and perfect! Wow, she has Cole's eyes so you know they're going to be good!

I'm so glad she's here safe and sound...that's crazy about the placenta and umbilical cord, is that something they can figure out next time? (if you aren't done that is : )

I hope you're recovering well and getting sleep whenever you can...it goes by fast the second time, try to enjoy every moment!

Melanie H. said...

Siena is gorgeous! My mom seconds the sentiment and says the hat is very cute. We are so happy things are well and wish you all the best.
Love you.