Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 1 - on my own

Today was Mike's first day back at work which meant it was my first day on my own with 2 children.  My mom came over in the morning to drive me to Siena's doctors appointment because I am still not allowed to drive.  I am surprised at how well the day went.  Cole was his usual self, running around, screaming at the top of his lungs (this is his new way of communication), being a rambunctious little boy.  Siena slept peacefully threw the entire day.  I found it to be easier than I expected to balance my time between the 2 kids.  I know it is easier now with Siena sleeping most of the time so I do expect it to become a little bit more challenging later on.  I feel like I was a more productive and better mom than I have been in a while.  It was refreshing.

Siena's appointment went well.  She gained almost half a pound in 6 days!  That takes her up to 5# 5 1/2 oz.  She has a little cough which is not surprising since we all have had colds the past 2 weeks.  We did find out in the pathology report that the umbilical cord was not 1 foot long, it was actually 8 1/2 cm long and 1 cm thick!  I am surprised she was getting any nutrients at all!  Crazy stuff!

Tonight Mike and I are approaching an on going battle with Cole with new ideas.  We did him a huge disservice out of connivance to us, by allowing him to sleep in our bed when he woke up in the middle of the night.  Since Siena has been home, we have not allowed him to come into our bed at night.  He does not understand this.  I feel so bad for him but we have to break the cycle.  So unfortunately that means poor Mike has to do the enforcement since I am taking care of Siena at night.  Last night they were up from 1 am to 3:30 am with Cole screaming bloody murder for half that time.  It is so draining on everyone.  So tonight is a new day in the quest to get Cole to stay in bed.  Obviously what we were doing wasn't working so the pediatrician gave us some new approaches to take with Cole.  Hopefully something will work out.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Yay I'm so glad it went well for you! I hope that it continues to go smoothly. I also hope that Cole calms down at night! And go Siena for gaining weight so well!