Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nursing and pumping with a toddler in the house

When it is your first baby it is so easy to nurse, do what you need to do and not worry about anything else for the moment.  When you have a toddler in the house, you can nurse (which is all you feel like you are doing 24/7) but you also have to figure out how to get that toddler off of the kitchen table, out of the bathroom, or keep him from unlocking the front door and escaping, all while not dropping the hungry one attached to your boob or exposing your self to the neighbors as you run after the toddler.

Pumping is also a totally different experience.  I have to hide now when I need to pump which is almost every time I nurse because less than 5 pound babies don't eat a lot at once and I have enough milk for 3 5 pound babies at this point.  The reason I have to hide is because Cole is obsessed with the pump.  At first it was just that he wanted the pump.  It resembles a squirt bottle so I can see why it is appealing.  But now he follows me around or searches me out and then once he finds me he holds up his shirt and points to his belly button.  I made the mistake of one time "pumping" his belly button and now he won't forget about it.....

No comments: