Friday, February 27, 2009

Sights, sounds, and smells of a newborn

I forgot how much I loved having a newborn in the house. There are so many little things that they do that fade away too quickly only to be forgotten until the next new little one arrives.

I love how they stare at anything and everything.  It is probably due to their lack of good vision at first but it is still so comforting when they are gazing up at you like this.  A babies super soft, sweet smelling skin is irresistible.  I could sit and smell a baby for hours.  I don't think there is a better smelling thing out there.  Even a newborns poop doesn't smell bad.
Who could forget the startle?  I love the startled baby.  It is so entertaining.  It can happen for any reason at any time.  
Then of course there is the excuse me I am pooping / farting face.  The little grunts and contorted facial expressions provide hours of laughter.  Cole especially finds this part hilarious! 
Rooting.  Who can deny that a little rooting baby isn't the cutest thing you have ever seen?  All they want is something to suck on and they will search until they have found it.  It could even end up being your nose.
I love how they can look so peaceful in any sleeping position.  Everything is comfortable.  Their little arms don't seem to fall asleep  they way an adults would when you sleep with your arms up in the air.  They can also sleep any where at anytime.  Siena sleeps through the washer and dryer, the telephone, the vacuum cleaner, and Cole's high pitched shrieks.
I had forgotten how they get blistered lips in the first few weeks from nursing, yet it does not seem painful to them.  

Ah their little body parts.  I think their feet have to be my most favorite part.  They are so tiny, they haven't had the opportunity to get stinky so you can kiss them without being hit with a smell.  They are ticklish yet so you can touch them with out having them pulled away.  Plus they are just so cute when they are only 3 inches long.
Finally there is the spit up.....I'd post a picture of her spit up if I had one (you all know I would too) except that in her short little 2 weeks of life she has spit up 4 times.  Yup that's right, 4 times.  I am not sure if this is normal or not because we are used to Cole who would spit up 40+ times a day!  The last spit up ended up in her ear....So I will leave you with a picture of Cole in all his glory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww I just love the commentary with the pics. Keep it going:) She looks so much like Cole at that age, when I first saw the spit up pick, I was like why did they dress her in boy clothes? Then I realized it was Cole and the baby had less hair and was older. LOVE IT!!

JCW said...

These are all so true, and it does go by so fast you forget until you have another one and it starts all over again. Do you swaddle her yet? Owen just started to need some serious swaddling while he sleep unless he's in his car seat, his arms will not stop!

Aimee Hutchison said...

Poor Cole. It sucks to be the fill in picture for "spitting up." Oh well, we all have to rise to fame some how.