Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Great Diaper Battle

Started one evening about a week ago.  Cole decided that he was going to take on Mike and I in an all out struggle to put a diaper on.  We chased him around.  We held him down.  He kicked and screamed and head butted us.  We finally succeeded in getting that diaper on.  

Fast forward to yesterday.  I was by my self.  I am recovering from a week of pure hell (that's a whole other story) and I have little to no patience left at this point. 

I let Cole run around after a diaper change "free balling" as some would call it.  This lasted about 10 minutes.  I gave Cole a heads up (like Cole's Dr. suggested that way he is not caught off guard) that in a few minutes we were going to put the diaper back on.  He went about his business.  So 5 minutes later I grab Cole and tell him it is time to put the diaper on and he flips out and proceeded to head butt me in the nose.  He's kicking, screaming, trying to bite me hands and of course lands another head butt for good measure.  At this point I am checking to see if blood is coming out of my nose while I have him in the bean bag chair.  

I inform him that this is not ok, the diaper is going on and then he is going to be taking a BIG timeout.  I finally get the diaper on and I then put a onesie on him.  My thinking is that I have won.  The diaper is on, the onesie is keeping the diaper in place, and now he is in the crib napping!  I gloat to my self and finally try to relax.  

2 hours later (not long enough) Cole is hooting from his room.  I give him about 20 more minutes and then I go check on him.  He is standing up in the crib holding his crotch.  I say "Are you poopy?" and reach down to feel the diaper and what do you know.  I get a hand full of balls.  No diaper there, yet the onesie is still snapped closed.  Hmmmm He beat me again......

So today, Cole is watching Monsters Inc and I am on the phone wishing my parents well on their trip to South America.  I take a peek on Cole and he is standing by the coffee table with his pants down around his ankles trying to pull them off over his shoes.  I say "Cole, please pull up your pants".  He listens to mom and starts to pull up his pants, but in doing so his arms also pulled up his shirt and what do you know.....there mr. winky staring at me!  So of course Cole has now figured out that I know he does not have a diaper on so he runs, as fast as one can with pants down around their ankles, to get the diaper before I can.  

So I have decided on another route to take with mr. diaper-taker-offer:


How does that saying go????  Oh yeah - If it can't be ducked, it's .........



2 comments:

Katie said...

Ha! LOL I actually had to think about what you meant by "ducked" and then I looked at the picture! I am a dork. I am so with you on the week of hell. GAH. Anyway, good luck keeping his diaper on this weekend!

JCW said...

Wow Aimee! You've got your hands full. My sister emailed me something on potty training that I'm going to send you...it can be started as early as 22 months. I hear boys are easier to train than girls, maybe Cole is ready or will be pretty soon.