Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks and saying goodbye

Not sure where to start with this post. My tears are bluring the screen at the moment.

Thanksgiving is a holiday spent with family and for the first time that I can remember my grandpa was not able to spend it with us. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life was say good bye to my grandma 4 years ago and this morning I had to say good bye to my grandpa. He has not passed on yet but he will any hour now. He is my last living grandparent and I am going to miss him so much. He is one of the most kind and generous people I know and with out him we would not be where we are today. He would do anything for his family and I feel so fortunate to of had him for my grandpa.

He has had an amazing life. He was a veterinarian and part of his job included being the vet for the Fresno zoo! He has been retired for my entire life plus some and traveled to over 60 countries with his last trip being a year ago (at age 89) to Chile and Argentina. There was nothing that he couldn't do and he is truly an inspiration.

Seeing him this morning was difficult. Sitting on the bed holding his hand was enough for me. I know he knew I was there. I know he heard me tell him that I loved him and that he was the best grandpa any one could have asked for. I know he felt Siena crawl over and kiss his hand and the fact that he smiled at Cole when he kissed his cheek was perfect. They have always had a bond.

Nobody wants to see another person dying but my grandpa is so fortunate to be at home and have his children and grandchildren and great grandchildren by his side, holding his hand and supporting him until the end.

I could give thanks for so many things in my life right now but they would not even be possible with out my Grandpa Tom. I will be eternally thankful to him. For everything that he has done for me. He is an amazing man and life will not be the same with out him in it.

I miss you already.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, no. I'm so sorry. I remember holding my grandpa's hand with all of the grandkids around him and telling him stories, and he squeezed my hand to let me know that he heard me. It was hard to do. I'm very sorry.

JCW said...

I'm so sorry for you loss, this post totally reminded me of losing my grandma...it's really hard to say good bye to someone you love and admire so much. I bet you made him so proud.