Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Another trip to the doctor for Siena.

So Siena had her millionth doctors visit this afternoon. I took her in because she has not been sleeping well at all. She can't sleep lying down for more than 30 minutes. She spits up / vomits after meals and bottles and it smells really bad like acid. She has these poops that are NEVER firm and sometimes they scald her cute little rear. Signs are pointing to acid reflux which is something we treated Cole for, for about 8 months. He out grew it around his first birthday, but he started it young. I have a feeling Siena has had it for awhile but we have had so many other things going on that we didn't notice it, and by the way her head tilt is back again. It started on Sunday. I am guessing it will be bad by this weekend. I plan on taking her to my friend for some bowen treatment.

Ok back to Siena's tummy. The doctor gave me a sample of special formula that has specially broken down proteins to help if babies have any milk allergies. Well since she doesn't ever have firm poops that is the reason for the idea of a milk allergy. So after she gets situated on the Zantac, if that helps the sleeping but not the poops then I will give this new formula a try. The kicker is that this formula costs $30 for 12oz of powder. That means that I could by 3 - 25oz containers of Organic formula for the price of 1 of the same size of this new stuff. Holy cow!!!! We can't afford $60 a week in formula!

Keep your fingers crossed that the Zantac works other wise we are out $60 a week until she is one and off formula. But if there is a milk allergy then who knows what she will drink at one. Plus we would have to get her allergy tested.

Sorry for the rambling but I am in no mood to to try and properly write this tonight. :-)

7 comments:

Katie said...

It will work out! It sure sounds like acid reflux--even the not firm poops. Poor little girl! I do hope the Zantac works because yikes that is expensive for formula!

Petersen Family said...

Go Zantac(which Lilly was on) but on another side note....We spent $500 on formula a month for quite a long time after the kids came home from the NICU.

Esther and Brian said...

Aimee, is this new formula one that you have to order online? I don't recall the name, but I remember the GI guy prescribing this for Eric and 1. super expensive, 2. stinks. 3. Eric did not like the taste.
I was better off giving him the Enfamil Gentleease with the broken-down lipils and instead of Zantac (which helps a lot of kiddos) we tried Prevacid 30mg. That is a fairly high dose for kiddos their age but it's what truly helped Eric. See, Zantac only works on one of the sights that produces acid, not on all three. Nexium (not approved for kids) and Prevacid work on all three. If your insurance covers it, of if Siena is not doing better with Zantac, try it (doc can also do a Preauthorization due to failure on Zantac to get Prevacid covered).

Just my two cents...hoping that something will help Siena. Poor thing. I bet you have so much more laundry this way, too, right?

Anonymous said...

Not to second guess your professional help, but what about goat's milk?

The Fredy Family said...

Due to my job I am aware of not trying too many things at once or you never know what caused the change. So we will start with the Zantac and see how she does for about a week or so. If her poops don't firm up then I will try the formula. Because she is still under a year old they do not reccommed milk of any kind just yet. We were actually discussing at my work other "milk" options which may come into play once she is over a year old. Goat milk, camel milk, soy milk - which I am unsure about giving a young child so much soy milk at once. Too much estrogen.

The Fredy Family said...

Lindsey - how much did you spend between diapers and formula????

Petersen Family said...

Ummmm, don't remember due to a high stress level and think blocking it out because it made me slightly sick.