Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A 6 month update on cloth diapering

6 months almost to the day, have gone by since we started cloth diapers. I can say 100% that I am totally happy with the decision to switch to cloth. We still have disposables for the day care (they go occasionally) and random trips but 98% of the time they are in cloth. The only blow outs we have had with Siena have been in disposables. Just the other day I had her in a disposable because I was stripping the diapers ( i do that once a month) and I went into the room to get a new diapers and when I came back she had some how wiggled around enough that the poop had shot up her back and into her hair. So gross!

The extra 2 minutes it takes to wash the diapers right after they come off the kids, before putting them in the laundry room really isn't noticeable any more. I am hang drying them so the extra power isn't being used and the dryer isn't heating up the house. The every other day of washing the diapers really doesn't bother me. They come out of the machine perfectly clean every time. I think the only part that gets us behind is the stuffing of the diapers. We decided to do it before hand that way they are ready to use at a moments notice rather than stuffing one when we need it. So some times that extra 5 minutes can make or break us.

The diapers have already paid for them selves and I would recommend to any one even thinking about cloth diapering to give it a chance.

8 comments:

Petersen Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petersen Family said...

I meant to write I am not a believer although I admire your effort. Soon..there will no diapers around here anymore anyway..too late to save me.

Aimee Hutchison said...

Ok Aimee- Do you really have to show off your artistic flare by making even baby diapers into a work of art? You should frame and hang this one in Sienna's room.

The Fredy Family said...

i know my photography talent has really improved when I can make poop catchers frame worthy! :-)

tiffany3119 said...

I just found a solution to the velcro problem we were talking about the other day. Take a 3ish inch strip of the poky side of the velcro (i got a yard at joannes for a dollar) and put it over the tabs, kinda like duct tape. Its been keeping Ben locked in his diapers for now.

sheena said...

oh my....that is the cutest photo!

Erin and Garrett said...

i love all the colors you have! we have yet to use our cloth diapers, but i am excited to give them a try...especially after the 5 outfit changes we went through today due to leaks with the disposables..yuck..

Elissa said...

Wow. I didnt realize how nice looking cloth diapers are now a days. Great investment it sounds like.