Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Everything is easier to handle when the house is clean

When you walk outside after making a piece of toast in the morning to find your son throwing his own poop at the dog you start to wonder if he is really your child. Why would he want to do that? I certainly don't want to throw my own poop. But if my house was clean then the spur of the moment bath followed by a meltdown, all while Siena is crying really wouldn't be so bad....if the house was clean because then I wouldn't have the mess in the back of my mind.

When you get out of the bathroom to find your son has taken all the apricots and peaches that you made a special trip back to the house when you forgot them the first time when leaving Fresno last night because you know they are worth it and is throwing them all around the living room saying "num num ball, nummy balls, he chewing balls" and the dog is eating them, you know it would be easier if the house was clean because then you wouldn't wonder when you are going to find that last apricot. In the middle of the night when I get up to pee, or will it sit under the tv cabinet and rot because I can't see it. If the house was clean then wiping up apricot and peaches off the new baseboards wouldn't seem like such a huge task that is taking away from the other 500 things that need to be cleaned.

If the house was clean then maybe i could write up my grocery list since it's been almost a month since I last went to Trader Joe's. But since I can't sit still for one minute with out finding Cole naked, covering Siena in blankets or making more of a mess, groceries seems like the last thing I want to deal with. How can I put away food when I can't even pick up all the toys? We need food....And how is it that the sink is full of dishes when we have nothing to cook?


I photographed a wedding this past Friday. Together Mike and I took 5000 photos. Now I have 5000 photos to sort through and then edit the remaining ones in a timely manor. If the house was clean then the thought of this wouldn't even phase me, except that the house isn't clean. In fact it looks like the Tasmanian devil (Cole) has come through the house at a high rate of speed and destroyed EVERYTHING in EVERY ROOM. I so desperately want to vacuum but I can't even get a clear path.

If the house was clean then maybe I could get the laundry put away. But as you know the house isn't clean which means the laundry is sitting on the changing table and my kids are wearing nothing but diapers because I figure that if they wear no clothes then I wont have to wash anything but the diapers. Let's not even talk about the cloth diapers. I love them still, I do, but when the house is a mess the last thing I want to do is wash and fold diapers.

So I won't. I'm not gonna clean either. I am going to sit down, blog, take pictures, enjoy my kids and wait till the weekend when I have help and then we are gonna clean and clean, and clean. But until then the house will remain a mess, so nobody come to visit please. I'm warning you, it's not a pretty sight.

For now I will leave you with a picture of a naked baby because naked babies make everyone smile. And you forget for a moment that there will soon be double the mess because this cute little naked baby grows up to be a messy little toddler.

3 comments:

JCW said...

I love this post! I had to keep reminding myself that I didn't write it, even though my house is a mess too. I hear there's three levels...

Level 1: House is always clean and ready for company, any time.

Level 2: House is not always clean and you need a heads up before anyone wants to come over.

Level 3: House is a freakin mess and you need no notice because it's always a mess and people just get what they get when they come over.

I'm a level 2 soon, but it's nearing level 3.

The Fredy Family said...

I fear we might be reaching level 4:

weighing the odds of fire insurance and burning the house down and starting over.

really, it is so awful.

Unknown said...

Your blog postings are hilarious. I miss you! :)