Friday, March 13, 2009

Cupcake Birthday

I got this great idea from my friend Margaux to do cupcakes for every month on their birthday's date (4th and 12th).  Then you take a picture of them with their cupcake (of course) and you can see how different they look each month as they get older.  With Siena turning a month old yesterday it was time to get baking.  I chose to do both of theirs on the 12th this month because last week came and went so fast and Cole had his ice cream cake for his birthday.

For Cole I decided to make Space Aliens.  I got this great book - Hello, Cupcake! which has a ton of great ideas that anyone can do!  Seriously!  None of the recipes involve any type of special pastry equipment.  All you need is plastic zip lock freezer bags and the ability to follow directions.

The aliens look easy but they did have a few steps involving freezing and melting frosting to dip the aliens.  To make the alien body you use half a mashmellow and a donut hole (hey no one said they had to be healthy), chocolate covered sunflower seeds and black shoe lace licorice.  

Our aliens oozed slime.  The ones in the book were perfect of course...  Cole bit into the head and that was about it.  I wonder when this kid will like to eat cake?


For Siena I went with Daisys.  I wanted to keep it simple since I knew the aliens were going to take some time.  She did not taste her cupcakes but Cole did help her out.


No comments: