Monday, March 30, 2009

6 1/2 weeks in



I have really been noticing a change in Siena this week.  It is the change where they go from really helpless infant to helpless infant who wants to see what's going on.  She is really working on holding her head up.  At the park she is starting to fight facing me in the sling.  I don't blame her.  She already looks at my chest for the better part of the day.  I would imagine she will be turned around soon.  She also is using her feet and legs to push off of me.  She is a strong one!  She will sleep through the night if she is on her side and in our bed.  She wont sleep in her crib for more than 2-3 hours at a time.  I have also been noticing that she doesn't unexpectedly  pee or poop every time I change her diaper.

I would say that she is more difficult of an infant than Cole was.  She will not sleep in the swing or her crib for too long.  She has found her voice and if you don't feed her when she wants it watch out because she will cry (LOUDLY) until she gets to eat.  She is so sweet but she sure is feisty.  Cole was an extremely mellow baby and I would say that compared to most babies Siena is also, however compared to Cole she is not so mellow.  I am hoping that this means as  toddler she will be a piece of cake!  I can wish right???  She is also getting chunky, as chunky as an 8 pound (that's my guess on her weight) 6 weeks old can be.  It is so adorable!

I have been able to give her a bottle once.  She was super hungry so I heated up some milk and gave it to her in the cheepo $.99 target bottle, she refused the nice Advent ones.  She started sucking on it like a pro and with in 5 minutes had drank about an ounce.  I stopped her from eating and burped her since it seemed like a lot of air got in to her.  I go to give her the bottle back and she acts like she has never seen it before.  She acted like she did not know how to use a bottle and choked every time she tried to drink from it.  I think she was playing around so I would let her nurse....

I think Cole is really trying to be a better brother.  He hasn't tried to bite in 2 days (this a big stuff!).  He really wants to be around her, but he still prefers if we ignore her.  He love to assist me in exercising at the house.  He brought me my hand weights today (6 pounds total.  That is 1/4 of his body weight) and then pointed to the tv.  He wanted me to turn on the video so he could exercise with me.  He likes anything involving jumping and then he likes to assist me with push ups (by crawling under me) and with crunches (by sitting on me).

Cole's thought process seems to be developing more these days too.  The other day at the park I watched Cole pick up some bark and hold out his hand to an older girl.  I was walking by at the time (Mike was on Cole duty) and I heard him ask the girl "But what's that?" as he held out his hand.  The girl looked down at the bark and he threw it at her.  I don't think Cole has quite the thought process yet to have planned that out but it was sure funny.   It was like he had tricked her in to coming closer so he could throw the bark at her.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I think Audrey and siena are twins...we have had the same bottle issues. the only thing that has worked are the playtex drop ins with the rubber nipples.

but 6 weeks was the peak of our difficulties so hopefully it is all downhill from here for you!