Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What the?

Two days ago we were doing this -


and this -







Pretty much enjoying the amazing spring weather, spending every minute we could outside.

And then today this -

I have never seen so much hail in my life. I was driving home from work and I made a last minute decision to skip the mailbox (which would have had me exit one exit before ours) and that was the worst decision I could have made. At Clipper Gap there was so sign of what was about to come. I noticed on the west bound side a ton of traffic, all whom had what appeared to be snow on their windshields. I though to myself that maybe the freeway had been closed and this was the traffic once they reopend. Less than a minute later, I was cruising along in the fast lane at about 65 when all of a sudden I feel my SUV start to slide. I pressed the brakes slowly so I wouldn't spin and flip the car. I had hit about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of hail. It covered the freeway completely. I made my way into the slow lane and waited until I could make it to the exit. It took about 15 minutes for all the vehicles in the slow lane to exit. The big rigs were taking up space and going very slow. Luckily we can bypass them on the exit once you get to the open part. As I made it across the overpass I snapped a shot of the freeway (above photo).

I stupidly stopped at the bottom of the hill to take this photos and got stuck and had to go into 4WD to get up the hill.

Cole however was thrilled with the newest weather change and wanted to stay outside and play. I was told that this hail storm lasted 20 minutes. That is totally insane. I had been at work so I missed the actual down pour and thunder storm. :-( But the aftermath of shredded plants and decapitated tulips reminded me all to well of the storm a year ago in May that was totally insane. I thought for sure our windows were going to be blowing in by the hail that time.




Siena begged the res of the afternoon for me to get her hail to eat. She would wait at the slider door with a tupperware and say "anh anh" until I got her some.


4 comments:

Esther and Brian said...

holly cow! love the umbrella photos though--a lot!!! :)

Kristen said...

That is so crazy that happened here too. When was it, Monday or Tuesday? I forget. But exactly 15-20 minutes! So weird, it was definitely not as bad as where you are of course. Glad you got home safe!!!

The sunny deck photos are adorable! Do you use BGs as swim diapers during the summer without the insert? I've been meaning to ask that. We used swim diapers last year, because swim lessons were only a few days a week, but I don't want to be spending that much this summer if we're going more often.

The Fredy Family said...

The hail was yesterday (Wednesday)! Cole no longer wears diapers but for Siena we have been using sposies due to trying to determine food allergy vs. reaction to diapers (cloth or reg.) but I would use them for playing at the house. Probably at the beach I was use reg. diapers. If in swim lessons I would use swim diapers. They are too expensive. How ever on www.cottonbabies.com they have "cloth" style swim diapers.

Kristen said...

Thanks Aimee! I think we'll try the BGs without the insert, when we're just in our backyard. If we do swim lessons again, I'll probably do disposable swim diapers so we don't freak anybody out, lol.

Oh yeah, it only rained here for like 30 minutes yeseterday, so not the same storm at all, unless it froze by the time it got to you guys!