Sunday, November 16, 2008

Overwhelmed

I feel like I have been neglecting my blog this past week.  There is always a picture to post or a story to tell, but this week I have been a little bit exhausted.  Not exhausted because of lack of sleep but exhausted from being overwhelmed.  I am overwhelmed with a 20 month old.  

As much as I don't want to admit it, I can no longer take Cole to ANY store for quite some time.  It has gotten to the point where he wont even stay in the big part of the shopping cart, not the seat part, for more than 10 minutes.  It's like there is a timer waiting to go off and when it hit that mark things start flying, breaking, and getting destroyed.  Today I took him to the mall so I could find a shirt that fit properly and when he had enough he began to head butt me and he bit me in the shoulder and caused a pretty decent welt.  I put him in a time out in the middle of the mall which did no good.  Why do people look at you like you are doing something wrong when you are disciplining your child in public?  Is it not normal to do that?

Cole has been a little sick this week, nothing major, slight fever friday morning and he has developed a little bit of a cough.  But apparently this "sickness" is causing him to FLIP OUT at bed time.  Nap time is still ok, but bed time has become a battle.  Tonight he fell asleep on the couch.  Take him to his room and lie him down and his eyes pop open like he was awake the whole time.  Let him cry/scream for 10 minutes and then go in to remind him it is bed time.  This created the next level of bed time tantrums I had yet to experience.  He was had butting his crib, kicking the wall, and screaming like he was being tortured.  I go in to make sure his leg isn't stuck and he is just standing there.  I get him out of his crib and put him in a time out to reenforce to him that this behavior is not acceptable.  Once his screaming time out is over, I pick him up and he is instantly silent and almost asleep on my shoulder.  Go to put him back and the screaming begins again.

This has gone on for a week and each day is getting worse...

What does one do to fix the bed time / public battle?

No comments: