Friday, September 10, 2010

Dr. Check up

Today we had Cole's 3 year (at 3 1/2) check up and Siena's 18 month check up (at almost 19 months).  It was quite the experience.  The kids started out well with getting their weight's and heights.  Cole is 40 3/4 inches (87%)  tall and 35 pounds (63%).  Siena is 21# 8oz (9%) and 31 1/2 inches (36%) tall.  Both kids physically looked great.  Their development is right on track, they are looking awesome.  The doc got to witness Siena's persistent whining and screaming until she gets picked up and could only tell us that with time it should get better (thanks).

Here's where is turned to hell.  Both kids needed vaccines.  Cole needed a booster, iron check (finger prick) and a TB test.  Siena needed to vaccines.  We decided to have Cole go first.  Holy shit!  He has always been so good so this was quite the shock.  The nurse did the TB test first and had to poke him twice because he bent his arm trying to hit her.  We distracted him enough to get the finger poke.  The vaccines was the last straw for him.  He tried kicking her in the face.  This entire time he was on my lap with me restraining him.  Siena was just watching with a very curious look on her face.

Up next was Siena.  Cole would not get off my lap so we were going to put Siena on the other side of me.  Well Cole knew what was up and he had no intention of letting the nurse any where near Siena.  We had to lie her on the table to get her away from Cole.  He was trying to get the vaccines, block the nurse and kept yelling "Stop!  You might make her cry"  It was heart breaking to watch them be so traumatized but at the same time it almost made me cry to see what lengths Cole go to, to protect his little sister.  Cole was VERY mad at Erin (the nurse).  I think she felt horrible too.

The kids quieted down afterwards and we were late to Cole's gymnastics class but at least he got to run off his sadness with Dylan.

I have to take Cole back on Monday to have his TB test looked at.  We'll see how that goes over.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh my god. That's so sweet it almost made me tear up! Go Cole for protecting his little sister. :*) (That's me crying. Happy tears.)
I MIIIIIIIIIIISSSS THEM!

I totally get it though. I hate shots too. ;)