Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A snow storm, 4 wheel drive, and Aimee

I have lived up here for 6 years.  In those 6 years I have NEVER been the one driving when we have needed to use the 4 wheel drive.  Well today I met a couple from Chicago for their engagement pictures at Lake Tahoe.  The weather wasn't showing it to be too bad but none the less I was a little bit worried that I might have to throw it in to 4 wheel drive.

So I make my way up to Tahoe.  It's raining but not too bad.  I get to Truckee and it was sunny!  Perfect I thought!  As I drove from Truckee to Sand Harbor (on the Nevada Side) I could see it getting darker and darker.  I got to Sand Harbor and it was full on rain/snow/major wind.  I waited for the couple to arrive.  Once we did, we made the decision to head back to the California side to see if the weather was slightly better.  It wasn't.  We decided to give photos a shot even though it was practically a blizzard.  We lasted about 10 minutes.  I was shooting with one hand while holding an umbrella in the other.

We called it quits and I was back on the road by 3.  It was snowing like crazy.  By the time I got to HWY 80 it was full on chain control.  Luckily I have snow tires and 4 wheel drive so I don't have to put on chains which is good because I don't own chains!  Going about 25 miles an hour it took me 4 hours to do a drive that normally takes 1.


Never again.

No comments: